Friday, March 2, 2012

Do what you love, love what you do

It took me a very long time to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up.  There were times that I thought I had it figured out.  In 2nd grade I wanted to be a Las Vegas Showgirl, this was during the time that I was taking Tap Dancing, which I loved.  And my dad had taken the family to a show in Las Vegas and on the way home I told him that I wanted to do that.  Shortly thereafter my Tap Dancing classes ended.  In 7th grade I wanted to be an architect.  It didn't take me very long to change my mind about that one.  First, I couldn't draw a straight line and second, someone told me how much schooling it would require.  And I really didn't like that idea.  In 10th grade I wanted to be an Interior Designer.  I loved going through model homes to see how they were decorated and would think to myself that I could do that.  Not sure why I changed my mind on that one.  When I entered college (the one and only semester I attended) I still hadn't chosen.  Then I thought I had it.  So I quit college and went to a travel school, my goal to become the General Manager of The Hotel del Coronado (one of my favorite places ever). But after I finished school and applied to The Del, and got my rejection letter, that dream ended. I landed purely by chance working for Western Airlines. I've been working for the Airlines on and off now for over 25 years. I've had enough. It was never what I wanted to do, but I had a child to support. Well that child is now grown and supports himself. It's time for me to pursue something I do want to do. Not just something I know how to do.

What do I want to do? I asked myself what do I love to do? Well, I love to read. No, I don't think there are any jobs out there that would pay me to read what I want to. (If any of you out there know if that does exist, please let me know). I know, I love doing Genealogy. Can I make a living at it? Maybe not completely


.  What can I do to supplement an income from Genealogy clients?  What else do I love to do?  Well I love sewing and crafts.  I asked myself would that work?  Actually, I think it just might be enough to supplement any income I earn doing genealogy work.


That's it.   I want to be a Professional Genealogist when I grow up.  And to supplement my income I will sell my handmade crafts online.  I've started a 5 year plan with these goals in mind.  I can't tell you how excited I feel about working towards this goal.  None of those other career choices when I was younger ever evoked such excitement.

ReVamp underway.

No comments:

Post a Comment